Saturday, October 27, 2012

Struggles

Here's what I'm really struggling with.  I can't get Jane to read.  She is an avid reader and reads great big books and consumes them quickly.  But as soon as there's a hint of me wanting her to read something...then she doesn't want to read it.  I've been patient.  Given her time to mentally adjust.  Agreed that she could read a "fun" book and a book for school at the same time.  Nevermind my argument that a school book could be "fun."  Why waste my breath?  Offered her a huge list from which to pick; a list I didn't create but a compilation of homeschool teen's favorites. I've taken her to the library to choose for herself, but she just comes back with fiction.  I finally told her that if she wouldn't choose, I'll choose and she'll have to read it.  She agrees and I choose and nothing gets read. 

This isn't about homeschooling. (I can hear all the people out there saying, "See.  This is why it would never work.  I could never get my kid's cooperation.")  This is about her relationship with me.  We've always had a sort of push-pull relationship.  It has affected the school situation, but this one is trickier, because it's not in a textbook; it's not outlined in a lesson plan.  Also, you can see an unfinished lesson or worksheet.  It's harder to "see" an unread book.

I guess I'll have to assign several books with book reports due at certain times and have consequences (like no t.v.) if they don't get done.  And maybe I'll add incentives like if you finish early, you can eat out with your friends before or after dance.  I'll try that and let you know what works.

No comments:

Post a Comment