Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Interlude

I felt the need to have a little interlude in my series, Focus on the Decision to Homeschool.  After all, life at my homeschool continues with new daily challenges and triumphs.  At the top of my list of things to report is my oldest daughters reading.  If you are a follower, you'll know that getting sweet Jane to read what I want her to read is a bit of a struggle (like pulling dandelions!).

For her biology class at the co-op, the teacher had the kids read a book called Darwin's Black Box by Michael Behe.  It is an impressive book.  Not small and dealing with the theory of evolution as viewed from the bio-chemistry field.  I've read perhaps 3 chapters and it was not easy.  Jane has read the whole thing AND written a very nice summary (500 words) of it.  Soooo, apparently, I am incapable to putting enough pressure on her to get the same results. 

However, I have spoken with her and pointed out our struggles (mine really).  I pointed out that if it takes a classroom and teacher to "make" her complete the assignment, perhaps we should revisit our decision.  I pointed out that she is an excellent reader (currently consuming the 8 book Artemis Fowl Series faster than the library can provide them).  I pointed out that in choosing to homeschool, she put me in charge of her education and in doing so, must respect the tasks I assign her.  I pointed out that when her co-op teacher assigned the Darwin book, she was not happy about it.  In the finally analysis, however, she admited that there were redeeming qualities.  She was able to see that she learned from it, found some of it interesting, and was glad she read it.  Is it possible?!?! that she could have the same experience with me???  Perhaps, she could give a book or two that I assign a try?  She might find she likes it!  Mostly, I stressed that if we are going to do this, she is going to have to accept assignments and not just blow off what she doesn't want to do.

Since that conversation, I've had another idea. I think we will change the focus of her blog.  She wrote an outstanding summary of the Darwin book (seems to be a good writer like her brother, Leo) and I thought maybe we will transfer her book list to her blog.  Each time she reads a book, she can review it on her blog.  She can create a star rating system.  She can review her books for school, as well as her leisure books.  She and her friends talk often of the books or series they are reading and often that is where Jane gets ideas for what she's going to read next.

I'm still thinking about this.  It's all in how I present it.  I have to give her options while still making it clear that it is an assignment.  Hopefully, some new, productive changes in the near future.

Ruth is still on track to move into 4th grade in April.  She is doing outstanding in all her subjects except spelling.  Her spelling is....well, horrible and below where it should be.  I blame myself.  I have a really hard time not correcting her spelling in "pleasure" writing.  Which, of'course, makes writing anything but pleasurable.  But, I've made a new resolve to have her write two letters a week and I WILL NOT CORRECT them.  I do have her proof read them and she already (in a about 3 weeks time) is showing great improvement.  She writes to friends and relatives about anything and everything.  We are also focusing on reading comprehension where she has to answer a question after reading an essay.  The answer has to be in paragraph form so it gives her plenty of practice writing, spelling, etc. 

I don't believe I've mentioned, but Jane's sewing class was cancelled.  I am so sad about it, but have to admit that it is nice to have that one day a week that is 'easy.'  Tuesday is now our stay at home, quiet day and I love it!  I've really got to work hard next year to have two days a week like that.

Now, back to my Focus on the Decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment