Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ask Why

Whether you have babies just getting ready for school or you have school age children that you are considering pulling out of their current school, you need to ask yourself, "Why?"  Make sure you are clear about why you want to homeschool.  People will never stop asking you why you do it and there will be days you wonder yourself, so you might as well be clear in your own mind about why. 

My simple answer when people ask me why I homeschool, is:  God called us to it.  Behind that answer is a long story about when the seed was planted (before my first born was even conceived), how it was cultivated over the years, and the series of "coincidences" that led my husband and I to feel very definitely that God was calling us.  Over the years, it's been important for me to always be able to point to why I homeschool.  It is a lifestyle, a ministry, a full time job that goes against the grain.  So, like any big decision it helps to be clear on why.  (See my May 2012 post titled, How it all Began)

For me it was a calling, but I've heard many other reasons over the years.  Travel, for instance.  Military families that travel a lot or families that enjoy travel throughout the year find homeschooling is less stressful than changing schools or dealing with missed school.  So, it could be that homeschooling is the answer to your traveling life-style.

Some families live in a school district that is struggling.  Ask yourself, "Can I provide better than what's being offered?"  Maybe you are unhappy about the choices for your kids.  Are the schools in your area not preparing kids well/not safe/not affordable?  I remember a mom I knew whose daughter was a little older than my oldest and when asked why she wasn't sending her daughter to preschool she said, "I think she'll do better with me."  That was her "why" in a nut shell.

Another reason people homeschool is that they have or want a large family.  Following the school schedule with car pools/activities/meetings can be exhausting when you have lots of little ones.  Believe it or not, my life was more peaceful once I brought my kids home to school.  We had four at the time (the oldest was 9 and the youngest was 2) and within that first year, I realized that I could see us having another child, where before, it seemed impossible! 

During the years that I did not homeschool, often times I'd be at the park or at the grocery store and someone would ask me, "Do you homeschool?"  I found it very frustrating.  I couldn't understand what I was doing that complete strangers would ask me this (they themselves were homeschoolers).  I think I know now.  I really enjoy being with my kids and I naturally would keep them busy and engaged by turning outings and errands into opportunities to learn.  I see it in other moms now, too. It was over Christmas break of 2000 that my husband and I were grappling with this decision.  When the kids went back to school, I was in the parking lot and a mom I knew said to me from her car, "Well, THAT couldn't have come a day too soon!"  She was so glad to have her boys back in school and it hit me....I was different.  I was NOT happy that Christmas break was over.  I loved having the kids home and not everyone feels that way. Maybe your reason for homeschooling is simply that you enjoy your kids.

Finally, in this decision making process, be willing to entertain "no."  I've talked to many parents over the years who were struggling with the question of whether or not to homeschool.  Some of them have decided to and some have not.  Be willing to explore your options.  Sometimes, there is another answer to the "problem" that is leading you to consider homeschooling.  It's not for everyone, so be open to other answers.  If, in the end, you can sum up in a sentence why you want to homeschool, you can be certain you got to the heart of it.  AND, you'll be ready with an answer for each time you are asked! 

I've been homeschooling now for 12 years and people who know me still ask why I do what I do.  Of'course, strangers are also curious.  It helps me to be clear in my own mind and that's why I encourage you to be clear in yours.  Homeschooling, like anything that requires committment and hard work, has it's challenges and difficulties.  It's during those times that I ask myself, "Why am I doing this?"  I'm thankful I have an answer that renews my committment and keeps me focused!

Next - Preparation After the Decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment