Thursday, June 19, 2014

So much to do, so little time...

It has already been a busy summer. Dance recital is over and has left us very tired. Jane danced five dances, four days in a row. Ruth danced her tap dance to "Steppin' Out with my Baby" on Saturday morning; the only show of the six shows that Jane didn't dance in!! We have a week to recoup and then ballet intensive begins and summer camps.

Our friend Emma has been coming three days a week this summer and we have been doing some science, study of the continents (they are making lap books), and a study of our state's history. They only have to do about 2 hours a day to get their stuff done. Then, Ruth does math on Mondays and Wednesdays (the days I'm at work). Jane is using Kahn Academy to brush up on algebra I before taking algebra II this fall. I want to go on field trips, but when?? I have this whole curriculum built around learning our state's history and it includes field trips (five in all) to various landmarks and our capitol. The days just fly by and I can't seem to fit everything in. There's dance camp and sleepovers and my work and lunch with the piano teacher (a final farewell; no more piano next year), summer school, cars to be inspected, doctor's appointments, etc. It's all good stuff, but hard to fit everything in. I want to do the field trips on days that we have Emma (tuesday/thursday/friday) and that is even more limiting. We will just keep plugging away and get in as much as we can and hope it's enough; it'll have to be!

I want to get a weekend away either with just Marty or with the kids also. Again, it is so hard to plan around everyone's schedules. The three boys all work different jobs and schedules, but even the things the girls are doing can tie us down. Not to mention Marty's job has been unusually demanding lately. The weekends fill up faster than I can get it on the calendar. The thought of a weekend away, even if it's just Marty and I, seems a pipe dream. Sometimes I wonder that I don't get more discouraged about all the plans I make and how little I seem to actually accomplish. I just figure that if you make no plans, that's exactly what you'll accomplish... nothing. Sometimes I get discouraged and say to myself, "What's the point? It's never going to happen, why even bother making plans?" But that's just the devil with discouragement trying to stop me from doing all that is good. I get wonderful ideas of things to do and I KNOW they won't all happen, but it's fun to see what does work out.

Sometimes, it takes a while for things to work out. Last fall, I was determined to take Ruth to Six Flags. We bought shirts and a tye-dye kit so everybody would have a similar shirt. It never happened. However, we have the shirts and plan to tye-dye them for 4th of July and still plan to go to Six Flags THIS fall. We'll see if it works out!! Once in a while my kids might say, "Hey, we never did..." this or that thing. Mostly, though they talk about the fun times we've had or the neat thing we did. That's how life should be. This world revolves in God's time; whether we like it or not. I try to focus on what gets done; the memories created, trusting God to provide for the things that are important. I "look" at the things that fall by the wayside as the flowers that didn't quite make it this year; maybe they'll be back next year. If not, oh well, I'll plant something else there!

No comments:

Post a Comment